CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, January 29, 2008

My New Job

The past week has been quite eventful. Not simply because of the theft on Sunday, but because I was offered (and accepted) a new job on Friday morning. In mid February I will become Sunset Presbyterian's new Special Events Coordinator.

I feel exceptionally honored that they offered me the job. Sunset is swimming with highly qualified people and I'm sure it was not an easy decision. My spirit is lifted with the reality that they felt me qualified enough to join them in fulfilling the mission at Sunset in serving Christ and the community. I'm thrilled beyond words and can't wait to start!!

In some ways I feel like I shouldn't be paid for doing something I love! Events are one of my greatest joys. I'm not sure how that happened, but I get a thrill from being a part (any part) of an event. Seeing it take shape from the brainstorming stages to finding people to fill positions, discussing ideas, orchestrating the elements that come together and make it wonderful, and even tearing it down. In some ways, the event itself is the least interesting part... at least for me. Sort of like when my brothers and I used to play legos. We loved to build cities and buildings and then when it was all finished, we'd end up bored and break it all up to build something else.

For the past 5 years I've been in Portland, I've been in and out of Sunset in different capacities. Interim staff in the youth department, volunteering on events, attending events, attending regular services, helping lead the 20s group Quarterlife for a while, and 4 years as a leader to girls in the highschool ministry which included Houseboat camp for 4 years and winter camp for 3. I have wonderful friends who work at Sunset (half the blogs I link to are those people) and I feel honored to join them.

I will admit that I'm slightly intimidated about the transition from working in a secular environment to a Christian one. I've gotten so used to separating God and my work (not on a personal level, I've always tried to remember that whatever I do can be honoring to and service to Him), that I'm not sure what to expect. I worked at Peacemaker Ministries for 3.5 years before moving here, so have had some experience in ministry. When I left Peacemakers my hope was to one day work for a church but without a degree and not a ton of life experience (except for with events, oddly enough) I wasn't sure where I would fit in.

This might seem a bit overly dramatic about something as simple as where you make your money, but for someone who has not always had the privilege of working in areas I thrive in, I feel like this job is a direct (highly undeserved) gift from God. In more ways than I could describe!!

To my correct work: Thanks for the privilege of letting me work with and learn from you over the past 3.5 years! And thanks for helping me grow up in maturity and in my professional abilities under your leadership and direction.

To my future co-workers and boss (Janet): Thanks for extending the opportunity to serve with you! I look forward to a long working relationship and many fantastic events to come!!

12 thoughts from other people:

Christina Groth said...

Hooray for the community around SPC! Your skills are ideal, as well as your insider knowledge of who's who, at SPC to glean volunteers. This makes you a great selection! Way to go, SPC! Way to go, Mrs. Peeples!

Stephanie said...

Congrats, Carrie!! Sounds like it was meant to be.... I know you will do GREAT!!

XO

Anonymous said...

That is great!! Congrats!!

Anonymous said...

Wahoo!!! God is a merciful God ;). You're a perfect fit and will fit in a simply marvelous way! Awesome and congratulations!!

Jenna said...

Yeah! That is exciting. I had no idea you were even looking for another job. Congrats! Keep us posted on how everything goes.

Anonymous said...

If it's something you love so much to do that it doesn't feel like "work," then I'd say you have a special gift and God has opened a door for you to grace others through the use of that gift.

Congratulations!

Jenni Clayville said...

YAY!!! We'll be working together again...

Just like how we started out :)

Anonymous said...

Hey congrats on your new job!!!! This is right up your alley-you're going to do a great job!
Adri

♥ Becky ♥ said...

CONGRATULATIONS Carrie.
I know first hand how exciting a new job is. What an amazing way to start the new year and being able to serve God even more.
They are blessed to have you on their team.

Allison McKenney said...

Congratulations! Sounds like the perfect job for you! Beware of my husband...he's quite the prankster. You're probably safe, but just beware! :)

I posted a recipe on my blog...I thought of you - must have been a post of yours awhile back.

Melinda said...

We just got through praying over you and your new job. I agree with the other commenters, you are a super fit for this job! We are excited on so MANY different levels about this!

Anonymous said...

I am so glad that you keep a blog and I don't have to hear 15th hand information about you. Great news about the job. God is so good when he gives gifts that are just perfect for us!