CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, January 18, 2008

Just life stuff

Last night I hung out with my friend Stacey. It was a great time!! I feel like our lives are finally settling down a little after our weddings (we got married 2 weeks apart). It's nice to feel like our friendship is more than just about our upcoming nuptials and post-wedding wrap up. There is so much more depth to us as individuals and our lives that it was fun to talk more deeply. We've had great visits up until now, but last night was different (in a good way).

Lately I have picked back up on the habit of memorizing scripture. Right now I'm in Psalm 37 and about 5.5 verses deep. I love memorizing an entire passage because it's fun to have things in context and Psalms gives you so much to chew on. I made a deal with myself a while ago regarding memorizing scripture... a) I can memorize it at whatever pace I feel like (e.g. I only did half a verse today) b) I can take as many time (days) as I want on one verse before moving to the next one and c) I don't have to worry about remembering the verses when I move to another passage or take a break because it's more for meeting my need during that season of life. What I appreciate about memorizing scripture is that it gives me something to think about while running or driving or other idle times. And an entire passage is easier to review than several random verses (at least for me). Today's verse was very appropriate to my life!

Tomorrow Mark and I are coming up with a 2 week meal plan and will do all the shopping at 2 stores. Oddly enough, I'm excited about this!! I've really been enjoying trying new recipes. Mark praises me highly for a nearly botched meal, must less one that turn out really good! He's a great guinea pig ;) He especially likes homemade biscuits. He ate the cheese ones I threw together the other day, for breakfast 2 days in a row. The only challenge with our shopping trip tomorrow is that I haven't been too good at price comparing and making sure we're getting the most for our money. Two weeks worth of meals might blow our budget so I'm going to try and be creative (in addition to shopping at Winco). I keep track of how much we are spending as we go and will list the optional items as such so we can not get them if it looks like we'll go over a certain $$ amount.

We are also starting a build-your-own pizza tradition on Sunday nights when we go to Barb's. We're getting pizza dough (uncooked) at Trader Joe's for cheap and will keep pizza topping ingredients on-hand. I'm very excited about this because growing up my mom used to make pizza every Sunday night for dinner and I loved it!! I'll be attempting a homemade pizza sauce that I can modify the way Mark likes. For me and Barb I think I'll try a garlic ranch and/or BBQ sauce instead of marinara. Here's a question: can you put uncooked pizza dough in the freezer or fridge for over a week?? I'll ask my Mom, she's a MASTER at anything food related!!

5 thoughts from other people:

noell said...

yep, you can! i LOVE the freezer and use it a lot. Sounds like you're getting into routines and making your own family traditions! fun! love you friend - headed to cherith's wedding next weekend...y'all are all almost married off! So fun.

Anonymous said...

Carrie: I just want to affirm and encourage your scripture memory. I memorized Psalm 37 over time, and go over it daily while driving to work. We are in agreement about taking a "chunk" of Scripture versus one or two verses. One of the blessings about going over Psalm 37 daily...over time (years now,) is how different sections of the psalm have more of an impact or meaning over the times and experiences I (and my friends and family) have had. Keep it up,
Sharon

Jenna said...

My mom keeps frozen pizza dough in the freezer for months. That is the point of freezers silly.

Mike and Stace said...

I had such a good time with you last Thursday night, too! I was thinking about it all weekend on the mountain. I can't wait to see you again soon.

Anonymous said...

You can leave dough in the freezer indefinately but if you leave it in the fridge for more than a couple days it'll get all fermented from the yeast.
I'm really glad you're training your brain in all sorts of different ways and scripture memory seems like the perfect way to spend idle time like you said, driving or in line at the grocery store.
I've been planning meals and shopping for them regularly and have been SOO surprised at how much food and money we save by buying only what we need for that amount of time. It's amazing! We tend to eat more fruits/veggies too, if they're planned in. Happy Monday! :)-Adri