CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Snow Days

I have to say, I think it's cool that I get snow days as an adult. Technically I never got them as a kid since we were homeschooled. But my mom was merciful sometimes and gave them to us after a big storm. In Wolf Point we got some wicked storms! Temps reached -40 with wind chill and when we'd go outside during the middle of the blizzard to check out what was happening we had to completely cover all skin. We didn't go out alone, dad went with us, and the dog. I can't believe our dog could survive that! Although if I remember correctly, she was always running and jumping around. She really seemed to love it!! She used to get ice balls in her paws and stop walking and try and bite them out but would always let us help her out by pulling them out. 


So far this week I've had 3 snow days. Although technically I wouldn't have been working today. I'm pleased at how productive I've been! Monday we packed 2 days worth of clothes into backpacks and hiked the 3.5 miles to Barb's, yesterday we went into work for half a day (hitched a ride with our friend Ken Mulder) and then a stop at the crowded grocery store and today Barb and I saw Mark off to catch the bus and headed out on our own adventure to walk from her house to my house and back. It's about 3.5 miles each way. 

We decided to go out earlier since the weather wasn't too bad yet. The walk went fine! Took a while, but otherwise was uneventful (except for seeing a car hit the curb when sliding around a turn). It's not an easy adventure, especially with ice covered sidewalks. There are significant hills, but they didn't kill us. 

When we got to my house it was a mild 43 degrees. yikes!! I left the heat on 50 to keep anything from getting messed up and grabbed another day's worth of clothes and a few items we forgot or wanted, warmed up some of our clothes in the dryer and in front of the fire and put on warmer pants under my jeans and a new fleece coat and headed back. I was a little bummed our Netflix hadn't arrived, but oh well.

It had started to snow again, which actually made the walk easier then on the way there because of the snow on top of the ice, which allowed for better traction. We stopped at the grocery store for a few items but were surprised that the way back seemed almost easier.

We arrived home in time for lunch and noticed the weather quickly turn. It actually started to snow part way back, but the wind picked up after we were safely home. 

After a bit of lunch and catch up time with email, I made some calls, worked on some work items and am going to move my party in front of the fire before starting on the second batch of cookies for Food & Toy drive. Figured might as well make good use of the time at home by baking for a good cause! We are having potato soup for dinner and I have to admit, I'm excited about that!!

The only bummer part of this snow day business is I can't get much (or hardly) any work done remotely!! I was glad for time in the office yesterday to gather some files to work on creating cue sheets, but since so much of what I do is making copies and other normal office flow, there just isn't much to work on from home. 

2 thoughts from other people:

Aly sun said...

I love snow days too, but sure didn't get out in it as much as you did. Good for you. Were you one of the crazy people on the all-news-all-the-time saying, "How does it feel to be outside in the snow?" If only our local stations didn't insist on 24hr storm coverage. I need a new netflix as well.

michellepeeples said...

Are you having your car worked on? Is that why you are staying at Barb's?