CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

My first experience with Collard Greens

Also in our first week of the farm box was collard greens. I have NEVER even eaten them before and kind of pictured something southern and pickled (hate anything pickled). We get recipes with the produce each week but I didn't like the one included so found a new one online. And it turned out fantastic!! That's what I love about getting the farm box each week, I don't control what I can't and I have to figure out a way to make it work ;)


First I cut the stems off and cut the leaves into 1 in pieces.


Then you boil the leaves for 20 minutes.



Then saute in butter and garlic... I figured that you couldn't really go wrong with butter and garlic ;) Although I couldn't really picture what it was like to saute leaves, but it worked!

I may have over-cooked a few of the leaves but otherwise they were super good! I think I would actually buy collard greens just to try this recipe again!



And of course, trying to do all this was in between kids crying, trying to climb up on me, upset she can't sit on the counter while I chop and cook... what looks like a simple process was full of tears, lots of patience and a little "tuning" it out on my part ;) And that is why I rarely cook much more than what I can pop in the oven or boil or something really simple!

2 thoughts from other people:

Stephanie said...

That's what I do with my greesns, too! Although I looked up recipe's on Paula Deen's website and she has some good ones, too.. some with bacon.. yum!

What did you do with the Bok Choy? ;)

Oh.. and I completely understand the "can't cook with the littles hanging on you" phenomenon. It can be a challenge, can't it!! :) Good job just going for it!

Annette said...

I LOVE this post with the pics, and descriptions! I know it isn't easy but you should do this with the farm box stuff more often. Proud of you!!