CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, June 19, 2011

Farm share

Last year we split a half farm share with Barb and this year we are sharing a full share with another small family. Today was our first produce day! And below is the first results of our produce... strawberry rhubarb pie.



before baking


After baking



First slice



Probably not the best pie I've ever eaten but not bad. To be honest, I'm not sure I've ever made a pie with a crust on the bottom and top, so that was fun. Although the homemade crust is normally one of my favorite parts but this one felt almost a little tough... not enough water or mixed too much?


Now on to the collard greens, asparagus, lettuce and parsley. Any suggestions?

2 thoughts from other people:

Stephanie said...

I was bummed we didn't get our share before yesterday. Doug LOVES strawberry-rhubarb ANYTHING and he left this morning for a week.. so he didn't get to enjoy it! The recipe they gave us for the fruit crisp is really good.. I made it last year. FYI.

As for the collards, you can google it. I think I just boiled mine last year. The key is plenty of salt and seasoning.

Cute pics from the dedication.. you all look so happy!!

xo

Aly sun said...

Fresh produce is SO fun and I feel healthier by just reading your post. :)

I've never used collard greens, they kind of scare me. I'll be interested to hear what you do with them. As for the parsley, I love parsley with red potatoes -- very German. Just roast them up with butter and salt and pepper and add plenty of parsley. Oh my, it is so good.


I love my pie crust recipe. Here is a link to when I talked about it on my blog: http://petersparadise.blogspot.com/2009/11/pie-crust-cookies.html