CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Baby preparations - advice!

I'm trying not to feel guilty about the fact that my blog/life revolves around baby related things these days. It's just where my life is at and I'm not sure why I think you might anticipate reading something else.

We are 33.5 weeks into the 40 of our pregnancy and as a planner, I'm starting to think through the final preparations I need to be making. Our last birthing class is this week and my last baby shower is in 2.5 weeks and I'd like to be making my final purchases pretty quickly after that time.

With that in mind, can all you experienced mothers (or those who have been close to an experienced mother) share the top 5 baby and mommy things I should have on-hand for the first few weeks/months? You can only anticipate so much when you've never done this before.

You can either include your responses as a comment or email me markcarrie.peeples at gmail.com. Please don't be shy or try and make it short. The MORE THE BETTER! And feel free to pass this on to friends who might have some good suggestions.

Thanks!!

9 thoughts from other people:

Christina said...

The Baby Whisperer book, well read.

but other top five things:
Boppy!
Swaddlers!
Hooter Hider!!
nipple cream!
journal. :)

and maybe the number of/an appointment with great lactation consultants for after the baby's born.

Aly sun said...

1) nursing accessories: bra, pads, oitment, HooterHider, burp cloths, lactation consultant on speed dial (seriously)

2) Camera, take lots of pictures because she'll grow so fast

3) Newborn sizes diapers, Swaddlers are great. Newborn sized clothes like onsies and pants, and tiny socks. 0-3 months is huge for about the first 5-6 weeks (I forgot this fact :)

4) Meals brought to you, help around the house, healthy snacks, water, water, and more water

5) Good books, movies, good company, and some things to pamper yourself with after baby arrives. Maybe a new pair of yoga pants or a new shampoos or lotions. You will need some TLC.

I'm in the trenches and yes, the first weeks are all about nursing, resting your very, very messed up body, recovery, changing diapers, bonding, and letting the people in your life fall in love with your new baby too.

Get help with breast feeding right from the beginning, but don't stress about it because it might not be an issue. Just be careful because it goes bad very fast.

Addie said...

*Watch "The Happiest Baby on the Block." Changed my life, and the book is too long.
*Read "BabyWise" for helpful tips on getting baby to sleep through the night and get on a good schedule.
*Do not assume, as I did, that not much caffeine makes it to breast milk.
*Have a friend make a big (think at least 36" square) swaddling blanket out of one layer of thin flannel. Or find a cute fabric and mail to me for hemming. These are magic!
*Cloth diapers clean up messes SO well. I used them for burp cloths and still use them for kid clean-up.
*Something for white noise for the baby (and you, if you sleep in the same room). It's comforting for them and covers over some of the many little noises they make so that you can sleep too.

Man, it might be sooner than later for me and Rob than we initially planned. My ovaries are throbbing. :) LOVE YOU!

Marla said...

Yea, I 100% agree about the nipple cream and the lactation consultant. I'm a little bummed people beat me with those two excellent nuggets. :)

Michelle said...

Read "Healthy Sleep Habits, Healthy Child" about their sleep habits.  It did wonders for us!!  I couldn't of gotten by without a breast pump in the beginning with both of my girls.  Just say they were really full and needed some relief.  The most important thing is patience and know that your life will never go back to the way it was before having children.  Someone gave me great advice after having Rian, I said, "I can't wait for my life to go back to normal".  They said, "it will never be that normal again".  So True.

Unknown said...

This isn't an item you need, but my advice is do something special just you and Mark. You won't have hardly and couple time once she is here. Also pamper yourself, there will be no time for that for a while either!

Jared & Adri said...

Awesome advice so far!

1) Nursing supplies (pillow, a water bottle to drink every time you sit down to nurse, nursing tank, pads, ointment, burp cloths, lactation consultant info in an easy to find place)
2) Healthy snacks for Mom to eat anytime
3) Diapering supplies (diapers & wipes)
4) Journal or baby book
5) Pack 'n Play or some place for the baby to sleep at night.

Don't plan on getting anything done! Your job is to rest and take care of the baby! Hold her and bond with her! Accept all offers of help! :) Sleep whenever you can. And like Michelle said, find a new normal. Baby Wise is a good book to read for ideas, but don't get hung up on doing anything "by the book"-as time goes by, you guys will find a system that works for your family. And take LOTS of pictures! :)

Aly sun said...

I also recommend "Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child." It saved my sanity with my second born (and I thought I had newborns figured out!). I loved "Baby Wise" with my first. Some babies/moms do really well on a rigid schedule, but others do not. Read it for an idea of what your day should look like about a month after birth. It gives those of us who like to know "what's next" some peace.

PS Dido on the breast pump.

Andee said...

Looks like you have received some fantastic advise so far. The nursing stuff is great. Here's what I will add: 1. Those ridiculous flannel receiving blankets you get in a four pack at the store are pretty useless after week 2. However they work GREAT as burp cloths if baby's a spitter. They are big enough to protect your front, your back and your shoulder.
2. About 100 people told me to pack a shirt for myself in the diaper bag. I ignored this advise with baby #1 and wished I hadn't about 100 times--slow learner. I followed it for baby #2 and was glad I did about 100 times.
3. Baby Wise saved my sanity with both of mine.
4. Keep a calendar by the changing table to jot down all that important stuff like "first smile," etc.
5. Hooter Hider!! and if you used a Bella Band during pregnancy, don't put it away yet! It works to keep your now too big maternity pants up and your still too small regular pants in place. It keeps your middle from feeling quite so squishy and protects your middle from drafts when you have your shirt lifted up for nursing.
6. A good, long novel!