CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Advice and Random thoughts/feelings

First, I have to say THANK YOU to everyone who offered great preparation advice for our coming baby birth!! I plan to consult back to the notes in a few weeks when I'm putting all the final touches and pieces into place.

So far (although I know that posting this is just asking for feedback, but please be gentle) my biggest concerns are breastfeeding. We do plan to breastfeed our child but have heard stories of easy to nearly impossible and everything in between, I just have no idea what to expect or think of this element of parenting. But I guess there isn't much I can do except see how our little one does.

I'm excited to be uncomfortable enough that I'm wanting our kid out (no matter what that means) instead of in for too much longer. Up until a couple weeks ago labor/delivery freaked me out so badly that I figured she'd be okay staying in place for as long as possible. However, now that I can't sleep for very long between waking and peeing, can't sit in my desk chair comfortably, sit anywhere else comfortably for that matter, walk without getting winded, have more than an hour between itchy sessions (I was unofficially diagnosed with PUPPPs), or fit into more than a half dozen clothes in my closet, I'm ready to get this birthing show on the road! However, I have one question... did any of you "practice" breathing or other birthing techniques before the arrival of your little ones? Our birthing class made that suggestion and I have yet to do it. Although I wouldn't approach a marathon without training so I can see how it might be beneficial, I just keep forgetting!

I've started working through one of the books suggested to me (although to keep from any hard feelings or further suggestions, I'll refrain from mentioning which book that is) but so far I've really appreciated the content of the first 2 chapters! And since you aren't sure if it's your book or not, THANK YOU for the suggestion!!

I'm SUPER excited that my mom is coming out next week for my last baby shower!! She has work stuff for a couple days and then I'm dragging her along to help me do any final shopping and setting up of the nursery so that when the baby arrives, everything will be ready. It's been a bummer to live at a distance from your mom during this stage of life, but we're working things out and I'm excited she'll be here to help with the final touches, since she's been-there-done-that and I obviously haven't. She'll be out one more time before the baby comes so we're praying for an early arrival so she can justify staying instead of going home after her last work trip. It would only be one week away from our due date so seems possible ;) And we found out that mom has to make another trip out for work in December so she'll get more face time with the baby.

I'll try and post more pictures soon. But you aren't missing much. I feel huge. Sometimes I pass a mirror and while approaching it, think I'm looking pretty good today and then my huge belly enters the shot and I'm nearly overwhelmed with how huge I am!! Although it's partly perception. I'm sure I'm not as big as some women are at this stage, but I feel huge! And feelings frequently trump reality.

Last little update, I've started attending MOMs group at church. It meets every other Thursday morning. So far I've gone to 2 meetings and will miss tomorrow's but am really enjoying it!! I feel like it's a great way to re-center on God, which I appreciate. This is another discussion for another day but I feel like I was so close to God when single and miss that desperate longing that I just don't have (as much of) with a happy marriage and anticipation of a baby on the way. But I kind of enjoy the challenge of learning where God is in my new phase of life and what that looks like for our relationship. Life is just so different from that singleness I knew so well.

3 thoughts from other people:

Teresa said...

Carrie Jean, you are going to do awesome. I didn't practice any breathing, because you kind of forget what you are supposed to do anyway and believe me Mark will be scared and trying to figure it all out too. Let's pray for a fast labor and delivery....Teresa

Jared & Adri said...

Hey Care,
I'll save you the talk about natural birth but all moms in labor can benefit from relaxation, and it's good to practice beforehand! One way to practice: when you're laying down practice completely relaxing each section of your body. Make a point of relaxing your facial muscles. If you don't tense up and fight contractions, they are WAY more comfortable. IT's also good to sit/lay down and practice relaxing your whole body during Braxton-Hicks. Trust me, I know. :) Love you and am thinking of you guys and your sweet little bundle often.

Aly sun said...

I didn't practice breathing and found I was rather out of my mind during heavy labor. It helped to have someone to TELL me to slow down my breathing, so tell your husband it is okay to remind you.

You are a planner and I know that worrying about breast feeding is bugging you. But there is just no way to know what it will be like. Some babies just figure it out faster than others. My first baby was SUPER easy and I had zero problems. Start working on a good latch right away and don't be too freaked out when the nurses and lac coaches grab your boob -- so weird the first time around.