CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, August 11, 2008

Running update

I akeep forgetting to share an update on running. When I got the news about my job ending and the need for "tightening our belts" was starting to hit, I immediately cut my plan to run the Portland Marathon.

We put $30 a month towards running expenses (race registrations and shoes) and I've used it ALL up until now. The Portland Marathon has a $90 registration fee and since my running partner and I have been struggling significantly in our running this year and had planned to just "get through" the race and not train hard, it was a no-brainer. Trisha, my running partner, was actually relieved and I have been too. So the $30 a month towards running has been cut from the budget.

Trisha does have a relay race in a couple weeks and I'm trying to run with her when I can but since I've barely fit 1 run in per week, I'm not doing so well. Once her race is over we are worried we won't run at all. But with her wedding coming up in January we are determined to try and stay in shape so will probably do some kind of gym routine.

So looks like the distance running season of my life is over, for now... we may pick it back up again one day. Honestly, it's nice to have a break but I'd be lying if I said I don't look back at pictures of myself from last year with a hint of disappointment that I'm not in that shape now.

2 thoughts from other people:

Anonymous said...

It's too bad you can't afford a treadmill. Not the same, I know... but. It seems to me that you should be able to find some kind of gym membership that wouldn't break your bank.

As for the running -- just think of your mother. How old was she when she started? You'll be doing it again.

Jenna said...

What size shoe do you wear? We should talk about shoes sometime. Also, what gym do you belong too? I'm just curious.

Side comment - found out I am going to China on Saturday. Want to do a lunch date the 2nd week of September?