CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, August 8, 2008

Leadership

Yesterday and today Sunset is a satellite location for Willow Creek's Leadership Summit. It's a big event and we spend from February to August gearing up for it. Although this year's attendance was lower than previous years, we're still around 500 (not to mention volunteers). Having this many people on-site is a lot for the facilities staff, but they do a fantastic job and the event manager for the event did a bang-up job on selecting coordinators for each area! As well as a great job herself! The event is going beautifully. So well in fact that I've found myself being able to attend the sessions if I want, which is pretty cool!

I LOVE conferences!! They are refreshing to me. I've attended them since I was young and always thought you can get something from any of them at any age and no matter what capacity you are in.

So yesterday I sat in my chair (going in late and coming out early) finding my heart a little refreshed. I think my heart has been emptying out for a while and I'm not sure why or how. One of today's speakers talked about "IT" and how to get IT and keep IT and I realized while listening to that session this morning that I've lost IT. I'm not sure how or why or when, but IT is gone. And as I've sat here yesterday and today letting the words and inspiring ideas and thoughts wash through my system and then hearing the talk about IT today, I thought maybe God was telling me (in his own subtle way) that he wants to help me get IT back.

My current season of life is new to me. I've never been married, I've never owned a home, I've never been in the position where I have some freedom when considering my next step in employment. And even though my event job seemed perfect for me, it didn't help me get IT or keep IT. Again, not sure why or how. But I think I thought this job and the things I have in life right now would solve my universal desire for IT and they don't. And it's sad to realize this but also freeing.

So I bought the book he wrote about IT and I'm looking forward to starting this new season and I will try and remember to, daily, give God the life that I'm living and ask him to help me get IT back (whatever IT is). That my spirit would find rest in him and my security would be in him. And thank him for my wonderful husband, for our beautiful houm, and to serve him in the roles I'm playing and will play in life.

I hate being sappy and cheesy on my blog, but whatever! This is where I am and I thought I'd write it up.

5 thoughts from other people:

Anonymous said...

You aren't being sappy OR cheesy! I think we all long for "IT." I've never heard of the speaker or the book, so I may be going out on a limb here, but...

Although you've never been married, never owned a house, and have had this great job (and now that it's ending you aren't feeling desperate about finding a new one), something has been... missing. I can't help but wonder if maybe you haven't become "comfortable," not just in your daily life but in your spiritual life as well.

Isn't it interesting how much closer we feel to God the more we depend on him to get us through the rough spots in our lives? The more chaotic our world gets, the greater peace we can feel through being centered on God and His provision.

I think that is the "IT" you are missing. Use this conference to help you find that center again. Close your eyes and imagine yourself falling off backward from a great height -- expecting to be caught and held in the hand of God.

Marla said...

I didn't know the book you got was about "IT"! Email me the name and author and I will definitely get it! Loved our vm exchanges today and can't wait until test stuff is over so we can make some plans to meet up again. Love you!

Jenna said...

Some of your "ITS"
* passion for God (even when you don't feel it - I see it)
* passion for girls (and lending a ear)
* crazy hair colors
* your hubby
* helping others

Good luck findings more!

GodSide said...

Let me know how IT is...I am considering reading IT as well but decided to wait and see if others thought it was worth my time.

Sharon said...

Oh, Carrie,

If I could be in your shoes (physical health and fitness, young marriage and the new home - well I guess I have one of the three now :)

KNOWING WHAT I KNOW NOW - from years of ups and downs, super joys, trials and suffering - doesn't that seem like the perfect combination ???

And yet, God, in His infinite wisdom (and humor) allows wisdom to grow as we age, yet our mind and body begin the deterioration process.

All that being said, I will be praying for you during this transition - I like how you always have a plan of what to do with your time, but are open to the flexible or impromptu happening.

...and thanks for updating us on the children.