CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Guilt? Or blissful ignorance?

Would I rather know and feel guilty next time? Or would I rather stay uninformed and possibly continue making poor decisions?

Quite a few years ago I decided to try something healthy and ordered a salad at Wendy's... instead of my usual burger. Although I shouldn't say "usual" as eating at Wendy's (or most fast food places) has never been "usual" for me. Anyway, I felt proud of myself for choosing salad. Right before tearing open the packet of salad dressing I glanced at the nutrition facts on the back and wanted to toss the packet like it was a big hairy spider suddenly found on my hand... it was HIGH on everything I didn't want!! I couldn't believe it and decided it was probably equivalent to the burger I wanted anyway and made a mental decision to choose what I wanted instead of what I thought was good for me. Which seemed to be equal anyway.

So occasionally the mood strikes me and I order a salad instead of something else. This happened again when I frequented Baja Fresh consistently a couple years ago. A friend and I went there almost weekly after working out. I would order the ultimo burrito and eat as much as I wanted to and save the little bit I couldn't eat for lunch the next day. Being curious one day I looked online at the nutrition facts and was MORTIFIED at what I was putting in my body. I started noticing how big the burrito was and felt nasty about putting that much burrito into my body (even though I knew I could stuff it in). So when I did order the burrito, I would only eat half and save the other half for the next day.

Then I discovered their salads. You load on the salsa mixed with sour cream and all those black beans and the crispy shell were like biting into a tasty piece of heaven! If I had to eat salad, this was the way I wanted it!! They did a little revamp of the salad part way through my 2+ year love-fest and I started getting to a point where I was polishing off almost the entire thing including the shell. Again, a too-easy search online told me I was putting a disgustingly high number of fat and calories into my body... from a salad??

Today it happened again. On the day after I get inspired by the finale of Biggest Looser and yet still choose to skip the gym (for my 4th time or something, just this week), I went to lunch with my husband at Quiznos and in a mental moment of wanting to "eat healthy", choose a salad over the all too enticing sandwiches. I resisted the urge to overload it with dressing (I LOVE dressing, but the fear of that Wendy's moment flashes through my head) and I settle for what is probably the equivalent of 2 servings anyway, which they conveniently put into one dish. I didn't finish the salad, gave one of the 4 slices of yummy flat bread to my husband and feel good about my decision.

In a moment of weakness I just checked the nutrition facts and discovered I would have been better off ordering a too-large-to-fit-in-my-stomach sub with all the fixings then a bear version of my yummy salad (not including the bread). I want to vomit, but choose not to because I'd just get hungry again sooner than normal.

I feel like the choice is either eat food I don't like, doesn't have enough sauce, and might as well be the cardboard box I have sitting in my kitchen waiting for a trip to the recycle bin, and get even more self-conscious when I don't loose any weight (after all that effort!!). Or eat the juicy burger, burrito with chips and cookie I really crave and at least enjoy the calories that will end up displayed on my hips!

Until I resolve this life-long issue, I'll choose to try and workout at least 3 days a week (and not kill myself when I choose something else instead), eat the burrito in moderation, try veggies when I have choice, and still enjoy the cookies! However it will come at the cost of having smaller thighs. I am constantly trying to determine which one I want more... smaller thighs or yummy food? Looks like I've pretty much always selected the latter ;)

6 thoughts from other people:

Anonymous said...

I don't think you necessarily have to NOT eat what you like -- just make it a very occasional treat. For the salads, if you know you are going to lunch out, put a little healthier dressing in a small container and say no to the house version.

I can tell you already, Subway is FAR healthier than Quiznos could ever hope to be! You know what it did for Jared!

Jenna said...

Oh fast food heaven. I think fast food in moderation is okay. But you really need to be picky about what you choose. My mom says the Big N Tasty at McDonald's w/mayo is the healthiest thing out there. Or you could always go to SushiTown - that is what my family calls fast food. Healthy and delicious. Oh no! Now I'm homesick for SushiTown...

michellepeeples said...

I hear you on smaller thighs or eatting what I want. I used to have self-control but have seemed to lost it in the past few years. Subway really isn't that healthy either because of the nasty (fake) meat they put on their subs.

Michelle

Mike and Stace said...

I totally agree with what you are saying. Lately I have tried different things. I tried counting calories but than I realize that I am completely controlled by what I eat. Then I tried eating more fruits and veggies which only added wight onto me because it was just more calories. I know all the books say to eat fruit and veggies and you'll loose weigh but it didn't work for me and I am still trying to loose that weight. I hate it. Can't win. And then of course I think of the line in the last holiday where queen latfia (sp?) finds out she's going to die and then looking back at pictures of herself, says, I should have eaten that. So many times I either feel really guilty for eating something or really deprived because I didn't. O well, can't win. Love u. I leave tomorrow!!!! Call you when I get back.

Anonymous said...

food is such a battle sometimes. i don't think it's supposed to be.
two books i would recommend on the subject... Skinny Bitch (it's really about what you eat, not about dieting or anything) and In Defense of Food. Kyle is reading the second right now and I'm going to read it next. Anyway, maybe see what you think :)

Tawny said...

Food. A subject I love to love and hate that I love it. I will e-mail you soon-- this has been the craziest couple of weeks of school, but after finals this week-- let's chat!